At Praxis Legal, we offer a wide range of legal services in corporate and commercial law practice which includes corporate secretarial and advisory services. Be it advice on the structuring and preparation of a variety of financial arrangements (for single or multi-currency denominated facilities); the acquisition of a public or private company; raising of finance for a particular project; contract law management; negotiating and drafting of a joint venture or a joint operating agreement; obtaining of work permits for key employees from overseas or employment/labour law issues, we have the depth and breadth of experience to be of assistance.
Our areas of competence include:Banking and Finance; International Trade Finance; Taxation; Foreign Investment; Equipment Leasing; Telecommunication; Asset Financing; Acquisitions and Mergers; Pensions; Intellectual Property; Shipping/Transport; Immigration and Nationality Law; SME/Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises.
Relevant Corporate/Commercial Experience
Members of the firm are part of the team:
• Currently engaged by a nationally owned company and the Bureau of Public Enterprises to review all the draft agreements required to effect the sale of the power plants to private investors;
• Currently advising NDPHC (Niger Delta Power Holding Company) as external solicitors on a variety of transactions including review of the NDPHC Facilities Management Agreement with MRI Facilities Management Company Limited in respect of the newly acquired NDPHC headquarters in Abuja.
• Currently advising CPCS Transcom International Limited, Canada on the recovery of its huge outstanding indebtedness against the Government of a South-South State;
• Currently advising a Fortune 500 Japanese Corporation on the recovery of its huge outstanding indebtedness against the Federal Government of Nigeria following the successful completion of three power plants.
• Partnering with an international Canadian consulting firm to advise a top public sector agency and the Bureau of Public Enterprises on the proposed sale of the successfully completed power plantsunder the National Integrated Power Projects Scheme to private power investors;
• Acted as Company secretary for various companies in Nigeria; discharged secretarial services during board meetings of such companies; undertook corporate filings at various Registries and the Corporate Affairs; conducted legal due diligence on companies’ instructions; drafted memoranda, contracts, agreements and reviewed HR policies for such companies;
• Successfully advised Kakawa Assets Management Limited in the divestment of shares belonging to Kakawa Discount House Limited in favour of Investment One Limited and drafted and registered the Share Sale and Purchase Agreement (SSPA);
• Successfully advised DDB Lagos Limited following its appointment as the official Marketing/Sponsorship Company for the Federal Government of Nigeria on a national project;
• Successfully conducted legal audit of all court cases instituted by and/or pending against the defunct PHCN on behalf of a Federal Government Agency. The audit covered all court cases across the country.
• Conducted general legal due diligence and review of regulatory compliance and corporate structure as well as assets/liabilities title verification as well prepared the necessary documentation on the advice of AF Mercados Energy Market International SA, Spain in respect of two electricity generation plants in the PHCN privatisation processes;
• Participated in the Bureau of Public Enterprises’ (BPE) Port Concession Programme and advised one of Spain’s largest port operators in its joint bid with a leading Nigerian freight and logistics company for the Apapa Container Terminal Concession.
• Advised on regulatory compliance with the applicable rules and regulations by ensuring regulatory compliance and maintaining the requisite registers & records, rendering statutory returns and carrying out such necessary administrative or secretarial duties.
• Carried out, in conjunction with Ikeyi & Arifayan, a review for the Bureau of Public Enterprises of all legal and regulatory frameworks for the commercialization of NTA, FRCN, NAN, NFC and provided legal opinion and advice relative to their Merger and Acquisition (M&A), Share Transfer, Intellectual Property rights, Contract Disputes and other incidental issues w.
• Appointed and acted as Receivers/Managers to a top four Bank in Nigeria and successfully recovered assets to the tune of over 1.5billion Naira from a multinational in 2010.
• Currently advising the Casers Group conglomerate and its various subsidiaries including DDB Lagos Limited, BBDO West Africa Limited, Space.TM Nigeria (Communications) Limited, Nexus Outdoor Limited etc on a number of commercial transactions involving various financial institutions, and other multi-nationals including Total Nigeria Plc, Unilever Nigeria Plc, MTN Nigeria Communications Limited etc.
• Currently advising the Mopheth Group conglomerate and its various subsidiaries on a number of commercial and corporate transactions involving various financial institutions and other multi-nationals including Adidas and Nike.